Children and adults will go for this creative soup that tastes like pizza in a bowl. It's just as fresh and flavorful, and you don't have to fuss with making a crust. —Debbie Reid, Clearwater, Florida
Recommended: Pizza-Flavored Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons pizza or Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni, chopped, divided
- Place tomatoes in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil, oregano and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss gently. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until tender; set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add the carrots, green pepper and remaining pepper; saute 4 minutes longer. Add broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan; heat through. Stir in 2 cups mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, milk, pizza seasoning and pepper flakes until cheeses are melted. Add 1-1/3 cups pepperoni and reserved tomatoes; heat through. Serve with remaining mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Pepperoni Cheese Soup in Country Woman October/November 2008, p29