As a stay-at-home mother of two little girls, Dusti Christensen of Goodridge, Minnesota packs a lot of activity into her days. The bread machine makes it a snap for her to turn out this attractive loaf that gets its zip from cayenne pepper, pepperoni and Mexican cheese.
Recommended: 19 Stromboli Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup chopped pepperoni
- In bread machine pan, place the first nine ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
Just before the final kneading (your machine may audibly signal this), add the cheese and pepperoni.
Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled loaf in foil and place in resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, thaw at room temperature. Yield: 1 loaf (about 1-1/2 pounds, 16 slices).
Originally published as Peppy Cheese Bread in Simple & Delicious May/June 2006, p53