My youngest daughter and I enjoy time in the kitchen together making these attractive appetizers. The "firecrackers" burst with chicken, cheese and pepperoncinis.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 jar (24 ounces) pepperoncini, drained
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into 24 pieces
- 24 thin strips Monterey Jack cheese or pepper Jack cheese (about 1-1/2 inches x 1/4 inch x 1/8 inch)
- 24 sheets phyllo dough, (14 inches x 9 inches)
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- Melted butter
- 48 whole chives, optional
- Remove 24 pepperoncini from jar; remove and discard stems and seeds. Drain peppers on paper towels. Stuff each with a piece of chicken and a cheese strip (cheese may need to be cut to fit in some peppers).
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface (keep remaining dough covered with waxed paper to avoid drying out). Spritz dough with butter-flavored spray. Repeat three times; stack sprayed phyllo dough. Cut stacks into four pieces, about 6-1/2 in. x 4-1/4 in. each.
- Center one stuffed pepper on one long side of each phyllo stack; roll up and twist the ends to seal. Repeat with remaining peppers and dough. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Drizzle butter over center of firecrackers. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Tie ends with chives if desired.
Editor's NoteLook for pepperoncini (pickled peppers) in the pickle and olive section of your grocery store.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 425 calories, 25g fat (14g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 2073mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Pepperoncini Firecrackers in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2003