My youngest daughter and I enjoy time in the kitchen together making these attractive appetizers. The "firecrackers" burst with chicken, cheese and pepperoncinis.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 jar (24 ounces) pepperoncini, drained
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into 24 pieces
- 24 thin strips Monterey Jack cheese or pepper Jack cheese (about 1-1/2 inches x 1/4 inch x 1/8 inch)
- 24 sheets phyllo dough, (14 inches x 9 inches)
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- Melted butter
- 48 whole chives, optional
- Remove 24 pepperoncini from jar; remove and discard stems and seeds. Drain peppers on paper towels. Stuff each with a piece of chicken and a cheese strip (cheese may need to be cut to fit in some peppers).
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface (keep remaining dough covered with waxed paper to avoid drying out). Spritz dough with butter-flavored spray. Repeat three times; stack sprayed phyllo dough. Cut stacks into four pieces, about 6-1/2 in. x 4-1/4 in. each.
- Center one stuffed pepper on one long side of each phyllo stack; roll up and twist the ends to seal. Repeat with remaining peppers and dough. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Drizzle butter over center of firecrackers. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Tie ends with chives if desired.
Editor's NoteLook for pepperoncini (pickled peppers) in the pickle and olive section of your grocery store.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 425 calories, 25g fat (14g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 2073mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.