VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 jar (32 ounces) pepperoncinis
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into 24 pieces
- 24 thin strips Monterey Jack cheese or pepper Jack cheese (about 1-1/2 inches x 1/4 inch x 1/8 inch)
- 24 sheets phyllo dough
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- Melted butter
- 48 fresh chives
- Remove 24 pepperoncinis from jar; remove and discard stems and seeds. Drain peppers on paper towels. Stuff each with a piece of chicken and a cheese strip (cheese may need to be cut to fit in some peppers).
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface (keep remaining dough covered with waxed paper to avoid drying out). Spritz dough with butter-flavored spray. Repeat three times; stack sprayed phyllo dough. Cut stacks into four pieces, about 6-1/2 in. x 4-1/4 in. each.
- Center one stuffed pepper on one long side of each phyllo stack; roll up and twist the ends to seal. Repeat with remaining peppers and dough. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Drizzle butter over center of firecrackers. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Tie ends with chives. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Pepperoncini Firecrackers in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p212