Peppermint Truffle Bars
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + chilling
- 1 teaspoon plus 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with foil; grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter. In a large bowl, combine the flour, confectioners' sugar and salt. Add vanilla and remaining butter; cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Pat into prepared pan.
- Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine the chocolate, milk and butter. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in extract and chocolate mixture. Pour over crust. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate overnight. Using foil, lift bars out of pan; cut into triangles. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 75 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 31mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Nov 2, 2012
I used vanilla extract instead of peppermint bc I was making them for a fall party, and peppermint seemed too wintry. But I can't wait to try them the original way!
Nov 2, 2012
I used vanilla extract instead of peppermint bc I was making them for a fall party, and peppermint seemed to wintry. But I can't wait to try them the original way!
Dec 21, 2010
They are wonderful. I am not partial to peppremint, so I used rum extract.
Dec 15, 2010
These were very good and fairly easy to make.
Dec 11, 2010
These are quick, easy, and out of this world. Everyone raved about them. I would try different flavorings, too, such as almond with espresso.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.