Crisp and chewy with a creamy filling, these perfectly pepperminty cookies taste just like a popular brand. You absolutely cannot eat just one. I always need to double the recipe! —Judy Wilson, Sun City West, Arizona
Recommended: Homemade Smiles Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Roughly shape each portion into a 12-in. roll along the edge of a 12x12-in. sheet of waxed paper. Tightly roll waxed paper over dough, using the paper to mold the dough into a smooth roll. Securely wrap waxed paper-covered roll in plastic; refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/2-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake until edges begin to brown, 13-15 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Stir in extract. Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Let stand until set. Yield: about 2 dozen
Originally published as Peppermint Sandwich Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2017