Peppermint Ribbon Cookies
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 to 9 drops each red and green food coloring
- Line an 8x4-in. loaf pan with waxed paper; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla and peppermint extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into thirds. Add red food coloring to one portion; spread evenly into prepared pan. Spread second portion over first layer. Add green food coloring to third portion; spread over second layer. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- Using waxed paper, lift dough out of pan. Gently peel off waxed paper. Cut dough into thirds lengthwise. Cut each portion into 1/4-in. slices.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 41 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 27mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 19, 2015
These cookies were rich and buttery. Peppermint flavor was definite without being strong. A pregnant co-worker loved them and her baby inside her was kicking, saying they were yummy!