Peppermint Potato Candy
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
Makesabout 2-3/4 pounds
- 3/4 cup mashed potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 7-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- In a large bowl, beat the mashed potatoes, butter and extract until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Press into a foil-lined 13-in. x 9-in. pan.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread over potato mixture. Cover and refrigerate until set. Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Discard foil; cut candy into 1-in. squares. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 271 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 8mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 3, 2010
These are very good and super sweet. Next time I think I'll use either wax paper or parchment paper to line the pan. Don't let the chocolate get too hard. It cracks when you try to cut it. ;)
Dec 31, 2009
We love this recipe...especially since I don't eat chocolate. I can still enjoy the wonderful minty taste...I just leave off the chocolate, so our whole family can eat it. Yum!
Oct 29, 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.