- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
- In a bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar and butter. Stir in nuts (mixture will be crumbly). Set aside 3/4 cup for topping. Press the remaining mixture into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in chocolate chips and peppermint candies. Pour over crust; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forPeppermint Oat Bars
"I'm really glad that I tried these bars! I did adjust the recipe by using one 8-oz. package of cream cheese, softened, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/3 to 1/2 cup of crushed Starlight peppermint candies. I greased and floured an 8x8x2" baking pan. I did prepare crumbs for the crust and topping as recipe stated. I also baked 25 minutes. I took these bars to the Cancer Registry for the staff and they in turn shared the balance with the Cancer Center nurses who work with them and with the clients.This recipe worked out great and it's a keeper for me! Thank you for sharing this recipe! delowenstein"