Peppermint Meringue Cookies
Green and red swirls set these whimsical delights apart from any other meringue recipe. They look like they came straight from Candy Land. Each melt-in-your-mouth bite packs just the right amount of refreshing peppermint flavor that's perfectly complemented by the bottom layer of chocolate.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + standing Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- Red and green paste food coloring, optional
- 6 ounces dark chocolate candy coating, chopped
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the cream of tartar, peppermint extract and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- If desired, using a new small paintbrush, paint four alternating red and green stripes inside a pastry bag fitted with a #2D star tip. Fill bag with meringue. Pipe 1-1/2-in.-diameter cookies onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets, repainting stripes if necessary.
- Bake at 250° for 40-45 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Carefully remove meringues from parchment paper.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Dip bottoms of meringues into melted coating, allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 24 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 11mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.