Peppermint Lollipops Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint oil
- Green and red paste food coloring
- 10 lollipop sticks
- 1. Butter 10 assorted metal cookie cutters and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water, corn syrup and cream of tartar. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir in oil, keeping face away from mixture as odor is very strong. Spoon 1/4 cup sugar mixture into two ramekins or custard cups; tint one green and one red.
- 3. Immediately pour remaining sugar mixture into prepared cookie cutters. Drizzle with green and red mixtures; cut through with a toothpick to swirl. Remove cutters just before lollipops are set; firmly press a lollipop stick into each. Yield: 10 lollipops.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with LorAnn peppermint oil. It can be found at candy and cake decorating supply shops or at www.lorannoils.com. We recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
1 lollipop (calculated without crushed peppermints): 179 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 27mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Reviews for Peppermint Lollipops
"This tastes really good, but it is difficult to do perfect. I think I might need to try three times to get it right."
"This recipe is farely easy to make...The peppermint oil is very strong and when making this be sure to keep your face away from the pan when adding the oil becuase it the steam is very strong...Instead of making suckers I just made one big piece of candy and broke it up into bites, kind of like rock candy..."