- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4-1/2 to 6 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups crushed peppermint candy
- In a large saucepan, heat half-and-half cream to 175°; stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. For each batch, stir in some of the peppermint candy. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Yield: 1 quart.
Reviews forPeppermint Ice Cream
"Very creamy and delicious!!!"
"This is absolutely wonderful. Creamy, smooth and stays soft enough to easily scoop out - but I just ate it out of the freezer bowl. Plan on making another batch tonight!!!!!"