When Crafting Traditions staffers saw the enticing cake recipe Gloria shared recently, they excitedly added it to our sweet gathering of birthday treats. And for good reason—to make it, Gloria uses candy-flavored ice cream! "This is the kind of dessert that's perfect for any special occasion," Gloria comments. "Traditionally, I fix it for our December 24 celebration." What's also nice is the fact that the cake can be made a few days ahead and stored in the freezer until the celebration starts. "It always looks fresh and tastes great," Gloria assures.
Recommended: Pound Cake Recipe Roundup
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 milk chocolate candy bar (7 ounces)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 gallon peppermint stick ice cream, softened
- 2 cups whipped topping
- Peppermint candy canes or crushed peppermint candies
- Place cereal in large bowl; set aside. Grate or shave 2 tablespoons of chocolate from candy bar; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, melt butter and remaining chocolate; stir until smooth.
- Pour over cereal and stir to coat. Press into the bottom of a greased 10-in. springform pan. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Spoon ice cream over crust. Freeze for 15 minutes. Spread with whipped topping; sprinkle with the shaved chocolate. Cover and freeze for several hours or overnight.
- Top with candy. Remove cake from freezer 5-10 minutes before serving. Remove sides of pan; cut with a sharp knife and serve immediately. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Peppermint Ice Cream Cake in Country Woman November/December 1996, p54
Reviews forPeppermint Ice Cream Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review