Peppermint Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Refreshing mint filling sandwiched between two chocolate cookies makes for some tasty Noel nibbling.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 to 3 drops green food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Shape into two 10-1/2-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap dough and cut into 1/8-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, butter, milk extract and if desired red food coloring; beat until smooth. Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.
Originally published as Chocolate-Mint Sandwich Cookies in Country Woman Christmas 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.