Peppermint Chocolate Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla. Add the chocolate mixture and mix well. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture. Stir in nuts.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, cream butter, sugar and extract until light and fluffy. Add enough cream until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cooled bars. Melt chocolate and butter; drizzle over frosting. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 89 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 59mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 29, 2010
This is a great idea, but it's a bit too sweat for my taste. I would recommend using less sugar in the brownie base so that it complements the extremely sweet frosting better. I also used a cream cheese frosting instead of the one given.
Dec 19, 2009
I meant to rate this recipe as "Excellent". For some reason I can't change my rating, but this recipe is delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.