Peppermint Chocolate Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla. Add the chocolate mixture and mix well. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture. Stir in nuts.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, cream butter, sugar and extract until light and fluffy. Add enough cream until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cooled bars. Melt chocolate and butter; drizzle over frosting. Cut into bars.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 29, 2010
This is a great idea, but it's a bit too sweat for my taste. I would recommend using less sugar in the brownie base so that it complements the extremely sweet frosting better. I also used a cream cheese frosting instead of the one given.
Dec 19, 2009
I meant to rate this recipe as "Excellent". For some reason I can't change my rating, but this recipe is delicious!