Peppered Rib Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 1/4 cup coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 beef ribeye roast (5 to 6 pounds)
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Combine the pepper and cardamom; rub over roast. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, tomato paste, paprika and garlic powder; add the roast. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade. Place roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Cover and bake at 350° for 2 to 2-3/4 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 20 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, for gravy, pour the pan drippings and loosened brown bits into a saucepan; skim fat. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into the drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with the roast.
Dec 26, 2011
We fixed this roast for Christmas dinner yesterday (12-25-11), following the directions exactly. It turned out moist, tender and very flavorful--made a great impression on our guests! Sure beats turkey! Thank you, Mary
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.