Peppered Rib Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 1/4 cup coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 beef ribeye roast (5 to 6 pounds)
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Combine the pepper and cardamom; rub over roast. In a shallow dish, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, tomato paste, paprika and garlic powder; add the roast and turn to coat. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade. Place roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Cover and bake at 350° for 2 to 2-3/4 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Let stand for 20 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, for gravy, pour the pan drippings and loosened brown bits into a saucepan; skim fat. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into the drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with the roast.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 26, 2011
We fixed this roast for Christmas dinner yesterday (12-25-11), following the directions exactly. It turned out moist, tender and very flavorful--made a great impression on our guests! Sure beats turkey! Thank you, Mary