Peppered Chicken Pizza
A homemade crust is topped with tender chicken, barbecue sauce, red pepper flakes and broiled peppers in this crowd-pleasing specialty from Julie DeRuwe. "I like to prepare the vegetables and other toppings in advance so I can easily assemble this pizza for a fast, delicious dinner," says the Oakville, Washington subscriber.
Total TimePrep: 55 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
Makes20 appetizer servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup hickory smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in the flours, oil, sugar and salt until smooth. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch down dough; let stand for 10 minutes. Roll out to a 15x10-in. rectangle. Place in a 15x10x1-in. pan coated with cooking spray. Let stand for 10 minutes. Prick with a fork. Bake at 375° for 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the oil, garlic and salt; let stand for 15 minutes. Place peppers and onion on a baking sheet; drizzle with half of the oil mixture. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned; set aside.
- Toss chicken with pepper flakes and remaining oil mixture; place on a baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 5 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Arrange vegetables and chicken over crust. Drizzle with barbecue sauce; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 168 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 437mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Spicy Pepper Pizza in Light & Tasty February/March 2006