Peppered Bacon and Cheese Scones Recipe
Mmm! That's what you'll hear as you serve a platter of these buttery, savory scones. The bacon and cheese flavor combination is a welcomed change of pace to the usual sweet varieties often served at brunch. —Janice Elder, Charlotte, North Carolina
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese, bacon and shallot.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk until blended; reserve 1 tablespoon mixture for brushing scones. Stir remaining mixture into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- 3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Pat dough into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Place wedges on a greased baking sheet. Brush with reserved buttermilk mixture.
- 4. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 scones.
1 scone: 433 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 718mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for Peppered Bacon and Cheese Scones
Reviewed Sep. 9, 2012
"Absolutely for sure!!!"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC