Peppered Bacon and Cheese Scones
Mmm! That's what you'll hear as you serve a platter of these buttery, savory scones. The bacon and cheese flavor combination is a welcomed change of pace to the usual sweet varieties often served at brunch. —Janice Elder, Charlotte, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese, bacon and shallot.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk until blended; reserve 1 tablespoon mixture for brushing scones. Stir remaining mixture into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Pat dough into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Place wedges on a greased baking sheet. Brush with reserved buttermilk mixture.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 scone: 433 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 718mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Peppered Bacon and Buttermilk Scones in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.