Mmm! That's what you'll hear as you serve a platter of these buttery, savory scones. The bacon and cheese flavor combination is a welcomed change of pace to the usual sweet varieties often served at brunch. —Janice Elder, Charlotte, North Carolina
Featured In: 35 Savory, Addictive Bacon Appetizers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Gouda cheese
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the cheese, bacon and shallot. Whisk buttermilk and egg; set aside 1 tablespoon. Stir remainder into crumb mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Pat into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Brush with reserved milk mixture. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 scones.
Originally published as Peppered Bacon and Cheese Scones in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p154
Reviews forPeppered Bacon and Cheese Scones
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 9, 2012
"Absolutely for sure!!!"