Pepper Turkey Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, bread crumbs, onion, peppers, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well.
- In an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, pat turkey mixture into a 9x4-in. loaf. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes; drain if necessary.
- Meanwhile, combine the soup, brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup, mustard and remaining tomato sauce. Pour 1/2 cup over meat loaf. Bake 20-30 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Warm remaining sauce; serve with meat loaf. Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked meat loaf and remaining sauce in separate freezer containers for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 282 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 736mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Apr 19, 2014
This is an excellent meatloaf!
Sep 15, 2009
This was good. I thought it had a strong turkey smell to it, but that's what you get with turkey meatloaf! The extra sauce was good but made a lot of extra. This recipe easily was cut into 10 slices, so 6 servings is very generous
Jul 15, 2008
this recipe doesnt need the 1/4 tsp salt. Most of the tomato sauce we have in our pantries has salt already added; plus the terrific sauce saves the dish from needing any extra
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.