Katie Goble of Valparaiso, Indiana shares this hearty meat-and-potatoes meal. Round steak is slow-simmered until tender and smothered with a gravy that’s packed with colorful peppers. TIP: “You can serve this with rice instead of mashed potatoes."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
- 2 pounds beef top round steak
- 2 cups each sliced green, sweet red and yellow peppers (1/2-inch strips)
- 1 can (7 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 medium onions, quartered and sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot mashed potatoes
- Cut steak into serving-size pieces. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the peppers, mushrooms, onions, water, salt and pepper. Pour tomato sauce over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 6-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove beef and vegetables; keep warm. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir into cooking juices; cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Serve with beef, vegetables and mashed potatoes.
Originally published as Tender Swiss Steak in Simple & Delicious May/June 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.