Pepper Steak for One
Have a taste for pepper steak? There's no need to make enough to feed the whole neighborhood!" This small-quantity recipe, suggested by Rita Winterberger of Huson, Montana, yields savory and satisfying results.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 ounces beef round steak
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sliced green pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Pound steak to tenderize; cut into 1/4-in. strips. In a skillet, brown steak in oil over medium-high heat. Add green pepper, onions and garlic; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Combine cornstarch, water and soy sauce until smooth; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Serve over rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 320 calories, 17g fat (3g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 648mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Pepper Steak for One in Taste of Home February/March 2001