Pepper Potato Gratin
"We're vegetarians, so I like to serve this aromatic potato and peppers gratin as a main dish with a green salad, but it also goes well with roasted chicken," says Evelyn Plyler of Apple Valley, California.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow pepper, julienned
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 6 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or additional chicken or vegetable broth
- In a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, arrange a third of the potatoes in overlapping rows. Top with half of the pepper. Combine the thyme, salt and pepper; sprinkle a third over peppers. Sprinkle with a third of the Parmesan cheese and 2 teaspoons oil. Repeat layers.
- Top with remaining potatoes; pour broth and wine or additional broth over potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining thyme mixture and oil. Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 30 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and golden. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 202 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 650mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Pepper Potato Gratin in Light & Tasty February/March 2004