Pepper Pork Pockets
In Lenhartsville, Pennsylvania, Paula Marchesi accompanies these pita pockets with pasta salad and sliced tomatoes, carrots and cucumbers. Tip: "To save time, you can make the garlic sauce up to 2 days in advance and refrigerate it," Paula offers.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound boneless pork loin chops, cut into thin 2-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 3 pita breads (6 inches), halved and warmed
- Sprinkle pork with pepper and salt. In a large skillet, saute pork in oil until juices run clear. Add red peppers; cook and stir until heated through. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, milk and garlic. Spoon pork mixture into lettuce-lined pita halves. Drizzle with dressing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 698 calories, 44g fat (8g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 1165mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 35g protein.
Originally published as Pork Pockets in Quick Cooking May/June 2005