Pepper, Onion and Beef Potpie
This hearty meat pie is filling, delicious and comforting. You’ll love the flaky crust, too.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1/4 cup each chopped onion, green pepper and sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cubed cooked roast beef
- 2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- ONION PASTRY:
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 4 teaspoons grated onion
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- In a large skillet, saute onion and peppers in oil for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beef, potatoes, soup, corn, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- For pastry, combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly; sprinkle with onion. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger ball to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate.
- Transfer pastry to plate; trim even with edge. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 572 calories, 31g fat (8g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 781mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Beef Pot Pie with Onion Crust in Country August/September 2007