Pepper, Onion and Beef Potpie
This hearty meat pie is filling, delicious and comforting. You’ll love the flaky crust, too.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1/4 cup each chopped onion, green pepper and sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cubed cooked roast beef
- 2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- ONION PASTRY:
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 4 teaspoons grated onion
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- In a large skillet, saute onion and peppers in oil for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beef, potatoes, soup, corn, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- For pastry, combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly; sprinkle with onion. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger ball to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate.
- Transfer pastry to plate; trim even with edge. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.