Pepper & Jack Smothered Cheeseburgers
To add a little bite to your burgers, just add peppers. The cheesy pepper-onion topping and chipotle glaze lend the chicken patties Southwestern flair. —Deborah Biggs, Omaha, NE
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup honey mustard salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/4 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 3 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 poblano peppers, julienned
- 2 Anaheim peppers, julienned
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices pepper Jack cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- For glaze, combine the salad dressing, lime juice and chipotle pepper in a blender; cover and process until blended. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg white, tortilla chips, jalapenos and salt. Crumble chicken over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 375° for 9-11 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear, basting occasionally with glaze.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute peppers and onion in oil until crisp-tender. Remove from the heat; stir in cilantro and salt.
- Top burgers with pepper mixture and cheese. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve on buns.