Pepper Jack Mac
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 bacon strips, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Dash salt and pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 3/4 teaspoon drippings.
- In the same skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in drippings and butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until cheese is melted.
- Drain macaroni; stir macaroni and bacon into sauce mixture.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 423 calories, 23g fat (12g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 707mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 6, 2012
This was amazing mac and cheese, not really spicy at all - just flavorful. I won't be making it again though, it just isn't worth the effort with a husband who, "prefers K.D.".
Jun 20, 2012
I left out the mushrooms because I didn't have any, and used real bacon bits rather than taking time to fry bacon. I had some bacon fat in the freezer so used a bit of that to saute the onions in. I also tripled the recipe because even though it was just my husband and me, I wanted some left over. Oh -- I used gluten free elbows, the brown rice variety, for the pasta. We loved this dish and my husband would like me to make this recipe again soon. A keeper, and I loved how quick and easy it was!
Jan 30, 2012
This was great! I'll double it next time, because there just isn't enough for everyone to enjoy- I added more bacon too- because I like it!
Apr 1, 2011
I was really looking forward to making this, but it just didn't turn out like I expected. Maybe it was because I had to increase the recipe for a family of 6, but it just wasn't that great.
Mar 4, 2011
This was really good. I substituted cheddar cheese for our young kids (pepper jack would be too spicy for them) and increased the bacon (just our preference). Otherwise made as directed. Delicious and something out of the ordinary which is always a plus!
Feb 1, 2011
I used penne noodles and added some sliced steak!! It was amazing! One dish meal! Just add a side salad and your all set! Husband is picky and he even said he liked it!!
Jan 27, 2011
The different flavors are fantastic together! I doubled the recipe, and the leftovers were just as good. We can't get enough of this :)
Jan 24, 2011
This dish was divine! I added just little bit of sharp cheddar, but it didn't take away any of the spiciness. Very very delicious!
Jan 4, 2011
Oh My, This was so Delicious! I doubled this recipe for my Family of Four and used Shredded Colby & Monterey Jack Cheese since I have little ones. It was Very afforable for a weeknight dinner but Wonderful enough for Company!