Pepper Jack Batter Bread
This flavorful loaf is flecked with green chilies and hearty enough to turn a steaming bowl of soup into a meal.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 5 teaspoons cornmeal, divided
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 4 ounces pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, eggs and 1 cup flour. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup cornmeal and remaining flour. Stir in chilies and cheese. Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Stir dough down. Sprinkle 3 teaspoons cornmeal into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Spoon batter into pan. Sprinkle with remaining cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 166 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 258mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Pepper Jack Batter Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.