VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 5 teaspoons cornmeal, divided
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 4 ounces pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, eggs and 1 cup flour. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup cornmeal and remaining flour. Stir in chilies and cheese. Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Stir dough down. Sprinkle 3 teaspoons cornmeal into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Spoon batter into pan. Sprinkle with remaining cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Pepper Jack Batter Bread in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2004, p20