Pepper-Crusted Beef Tenderloin with Mushrooms
My dad, an incredible person and cook, taught me to make this tenderloin. Whenever I want to make a special, memorable meal to celebrate with our friends, I choose this. —Cindi Breazeale, Granbury, Texas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Grill: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (5 to 6 pounds)
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Beau Monde seasoning
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Tuck thin tail end of tenderloin under roast for even thickness; tie beef at 3-in. intervals with kitchen string. Place in a large resealable plastic bag. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt, Beau Monde seasoning and lemon juice. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Drain beef, discarding marinade. Sprinkle beef with pepper. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place beef over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium heat until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°), about 1-1/4 hours, turning and basting with 1/4 cup melted butter. Remove roast from grill; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Saute mushrooms with salt and pepper until tender, 8-10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Cut string and slice beef. Serve with mushrooms.
Editor's Note: This recipe can also be prepared in an oven. Preheat oven to 425°. Prepare roast as directed; place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°), about 50 minutes. Remove roast from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Prepare mushrooms as directed. Serve with beef.
Originally published as Pepper Crusted Beef Tenderloin in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.