Pepper Cheese Patties
When I was a Cub Scout den mother and Girl Scout leader years ago, many youngsters would ask to stay for dinner when they heard I was serving these burgers. Friends and family still ask for them. - Eleanor Davidson, Pittsboro, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 1 egg
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 15 crackers)
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 jar (5 ounces) pimiento or American sharp cheese spread, softened
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- Lettuce and tomato slices
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over the mixture and mix well. On a piece of waxed paper, pat meat mixture into a 12-in. square. Spread with cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style. Cut into 2-in. slices. Place on a greased broiler pan.
- Broil for 8 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Serve with buns with lettuce and tomato.
For easier slicing, first freeze the meat mixture for Pepper Cheese Patties for 20-30 minutes. Or prepare it 24 hours in advance and refrigerate.
Originally published as Pepper Cheese Patties in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book