Pepper Beef with Cashews
I created this recipe after seeing an Asian version of pepper steak. The pretty peppers make this dish look so attractive and are a nice sweet contrast to the peppery beef.—Sharon Wolf, Camrose, Alberta
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons beef broth, divided
- 1 each large sweet red, yellow and green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce, optional
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup cashew halves
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and pepper over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm. Add garlic to skillet; cook for 1 minute. Stir in 2 tablespoons broth. Add peppers. Cover and steam for 1 minute.
- Return beef mixture to pan. Stir in oyster sauce if desired and soy sauce. Combine cornstarch with remaining broth until smooth; gradually add to skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cashews.
Served over hot cooked rice or pasta, Pepper Beef with Cashews is special enough for company yet quick enough for every day.