This comforting, savory pudding turns ordinary meals into something to celebrate. It makes a great side dish but is also hearty enough to enjoy as a meatless main course.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups frozen corn, thawed, divided
- 5 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 pound Gruyere cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and peppers in oil until tender. Remove and set aside.
- In food processor, combine 2 cups whole kernel corn, cream cheese, cornmeal and sugar; cover and process until smooth. In large bowl, combine the eggs, 1-1/2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese, cream-style corn, cream and salt. Stir in processed corn mixture, reserved mushroom mixture and remaining corn until well blended.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: 13 servings.
Originally published as Pepper & Mushroom Corn Pudding in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2009, p49