Peoria Chili Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato juice, tomatoes, chili powder, sugar, salt and pepper.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 hours. Stir in beans; heat through. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
IF COOKING FOR TWO: Freeze chili in serving size portions for quick meals later.
1 cup: 288 calories, 9g fat (0 saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 826mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Peoria Chili
"I DID prepare this chili and If I am not mistaken, I'd pared it down for my mother and myself by halving the recipe. I believe I'd used the tomato juice, canned tomatoes and kidney beans, using 1/2 the amount since it's just my mother and myself! I added 1 cup chopped celery, 1 Tbsp.chili powder, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper & 1 garlic glove, crushed. I simmered the chili 2 hours and stirred occasionally. I stirred in 1 can ofkidney beans and let cook 1/2 hour!That way, the beans wouldn't be mushy!This recipe was delicious! Thank you for sharing it! Dawn E. Lowenstein"
"My new go-to recipe for chili."
"Very easy and very tasty!"