- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes with liquid, chopped
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 can (15 ounces each) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, brown beef and onion. Drain off fat; add all remaining ingredients except beans and cheese. Cover and simmer 2-3 hours. Adjust seasonings, if necessary. Stir in beans and heat through. Before serving, top with shredded cheddar cheese, if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forPeoria Chili
"I DID prepare this chili and If I am not mistaken, I'd pared it down for my mother and myself by halving the recipe. I believe I'd used the tomato juice, canned tomatoes and kidney beans, using 1/2 the amount since it's just my mother and myself! I added 1 cup chopped celery, 1 Tbsp.chili powder, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper & 1 garlic glove, crushed. I simmered the chili 2 hours and stirred occasionally. I stirred in 1 can ofkidney beans and let cook 1/2 hour!That way, the beans wouldn't be mushy!This recipe was delicious! Thank you for sharing it! Dawn E. Lowenstein"
"My new go-to recipe for chili."
"Very easy and very tasty!"