- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugars, cream, corn syrup, lemon juice and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Hold at soft-ball stage for 5-6 minutes. Remove form the heat. Add butter; do not stir. Cool to 110°. Stir in vanilla; beat vigorously by hand until mixture is very thick and slightly lighter in color, about 20 minutes. Quickly stir in pecans, then pour into a greased 8-in. square pan. Cool. Cut into 1-in. squares. Yield: 1-3/4 pounds.
"This is the recipe I have been looking for! You can't find good Penuche in the "candy" stores selling fudge..Thank you"
"My mother-in-law use to make this but it was a white fudge. How do I change this or will it not be penuche anymore."