- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons gluten-free all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (1-1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large applescored, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly grease a 9-in. round baking or springform pan. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 2 teaspoons flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, chocolate chips, walnuts and cinnamon.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the eggs, granulated sugar and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in the oil and vanilla. Stir into the flour mixture until just combined. Pour half the batter into prepared pan, top with half the apples and half the crumb mixture; repeat with the remaining batter, apples and crumb mixture. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forPenny's Apple Brown Sugar Coffee Cake
"Delicious! I did not use Gluten-free flour, just all purpose flour. It smelled amazing while baking, and was very moist. Would definitely make again."
"Subbing FLAX EGG did NOT work, at all. Never did fully set up, even at the high temp, with extra time. Plus there was hardly ANY dough. I had to stir the apples into the dough, as there wasn't enough dough to split in half, and cover the pan and have enough left over for a 2nd layer. Don't think I'll even try to experiment to try again. The ONLY good thing was, even as a doughy mess, it tasted yummy, sort of like apple fritters from the bakery. Cinnamon & brown sugar made it possible."
"I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I noticed the recipe listed 1/2 cup granulated sugar besides of 3/4 brown sugar that it is not clear where you need it to add. The apples are so much for 1 cup flour. I couldn't separate the batter in 2 bcuz not enought amount, i put it all in a 9x5 loaf pan but I tried and it didn't work for me :(I will recant my review, didn't read the granulated sugar will be together with eggs, maybe this was the difference in amount of batter, I'll tried one more time in other day."
"How can I omit the apples? I want it to be more of a crumb cake without apples. Would I have to add in something to make up for the moisture of the apples?"
"Hi, New to this type of baking, but do you not have to add Xanthan gum to the recipe or is it in the flour already?"
"Amazing fall flavor. cake came together easily and tasted great."
"My husband who is doing a gluten free diet LOVED this coffee cake as a breakfast/mid morn snack. I used Silvana's awesome flour blend recipe from her book, Cooking for Isaiah, which I highly recommend for those with gluten or dairy allergies or sensitivities. All purpose gluten free flour does not contain xanthan gum and must be added to recipes for stability."
"Very yummy! I made this yesterday and my family cleaned it up in two meals! I did make a few changes however. I used regular flour (no one in my family needs gluten-free), I used only 1/4 cup regular sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar. I left out the walnuts and instead of the 1/2 cup canola oil I used 1/4 cup melted butter. Instead of the two eggs, I used 1/4 cup water because I had no eggs on hand. I was not sure if this substitution would work, but it did! I also did not have apples on hand, so I used 1 cup applesauce instead. With these changes, it baked up in about 25 minutes. Yes, I made a ton of changes and it is hardly the original recipe, but this is a great idea and great for a snack or quick dessert. So moist! I will be making this again!"
"I was unsure about the chocolate chips with the apple, but it works! I did substitute pecans for the walnuts, but I do that for any recipe because I don't care for walnuts."