- 2-1/2 cups mashed potatoes or riced potatoes (without added milk, butter or seasonings)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, milk, eggs and butter. Combine the sugar, baking powder and 2 cups flour; stir into potato mixture. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half. Turn each half onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-3/4-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over warm doughnuts. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews forPennsylvania Dutch Potato Doughnuts
"Cups? How many ml is that?"