Pennsylvania Dutch Cucumbers Recipe
- 3 to 4 small cucumbers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dill seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch sugar
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Slice tomatoes, optional
- 1. Peel cucumbers; slice paper-thin into a bowl. Sprinkle with salt; cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- 2. Rinse and drain cucumbers. Pat gently to press out excess liquid. In a large bowl, combine cucumbers and onion; set aside. In a small bowl, combine sour cream, vinegar, chives, dill seed, pepper and sugar.
- 3. Just before serving, add dressing to cucumbers; toss to coat. Arrange lettuce and tomatoes in a serving bowl if desired. Top with cucumbers Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 61 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 406mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Pennsylvania Dutch Cucumbers
"This is my absolute favorite TOH recipe that I have tried! I used 1# mini cucumbers and sliced the cucs & onion with a potato peeler. EVERYONE who tasted, loved! I have prepared the recipe four times in a two week period. Perfect with seafood and meat. Also perfect alone. Thanks for this recipe. It's definitely a keeper."
"I can't believe that after all these years I am seeing this recipe. My mother too was of Irish descent . This was one of the favorite recipes in summer when we always had an abundance of cucs. The only difference in her recipe was she would add some Mayonnaise and cut back on the sr cream,"
"definately reminded me of my younger days when my grandmother made them for us Yum"