- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple cider or juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 medium apples, peeled and quartered (3 pounds)
- Place the apple juice, sugar, cinnamon and cloves in a blender or food processor; cover and process until blended. Adding 3-4 apple pieces at a time, cover and process until smooth. Pour into a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook 1 to 1-1/2 hours longer or until thickened. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 cups.
Reviews forPennsylvania Dutch Apple Butter
"I have made this recipe many times since it was 1st published in 2004. My family & friends love it. When I make it I just put all the ingredients into a pot & cook until the apples are soft & then I mash them for a chunky consistency or put in the blender for a smoother consistency. It is so easy & I like that it is not loaded with sugar. I usually double the recipe, put it in canning jars & water process it for 10 mins. That way I can have it on hand to give as gifts."