Chock-full of zucchini, tomatoes, sweet pepper and carrots, this hearty pasta dish puts your garden harvest to good use. "For variety, I sometimes add one-half cup of salsa or one-half cup of thickened teriyaki sauce," writes Vickie Spoerle of Indianapolis, Indiana. "I'm always asked for the recipe."
Recommended: 30 Pasta Dinners Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 10 ounces uncooked penne or medium tube pasta
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup julienned green or sweet red pepper
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon each minced fresh basil, oregano and thyme or 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions. meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the zucchini, carrots, mushrooms, green pepper, onion, garlic and seasonings in 1 tablespoon oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the beans.
- Drain pasta; add to vegetable mixture. Add tomatoes and remaining olive oil; toss gently. sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Penne with Veggies 'N' Black Beans in Light & Tasty August/September 2003, p20