A delicate cream sauce seasoned with garlic enhances this mouthwatering combination of pasta, veggies and shrimp. "Feel free to substitute other vegetables, like asparagus, green beans or zucchini."—Rosemarie Bronko, Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania.
Recommended: 30 Pasta Dinners Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen baby carrots
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen sugar snap peas
- 16 uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in pasta; cook for 7 minutes. Add carrots; cook for 4 minutes. Add peas; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until pasta and vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute shrimp and garlic in oil until shrimp turn pink. Reduce heat to medium; stir in the cream, broth, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Drain pasta and vegetables; add to shrimp mixture. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Transfer to a serving bowl; sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Penne Primavera with Shrimp in Cooking for 2 Fall 2007, p15