I had ground beef and veggies on hand so I came up with this pizza-flavored casserole. I never expected my family to love it so much. It's a good way to sneak in some extra veggies for the kids. —Jennifer Wise, Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania
- 1 package (12 ounces) whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat Alfredo sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook penne according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the beef, zucchini, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, Alfredo sauce, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and garlic powder. Drain penne; stir into meat mixture.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Penne Beef Bake in Healthy Cooking December/January 2013, p38
Reviews for Penne Beef Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review