Penne & Sausage Casseroles
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 casseroles (8 servings each)
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or beef broth, divided
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 cups shredded fontina cheese
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In the same Dutch oven, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic and oregano; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in 1 cup wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, sausage and remaining wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain pasta. Spread 1/2 cup sauce in each of two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Divide half of the pasta between the dishes; layer each with 2-1/2 cups sauce and 1 cup each of the cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 460 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 756mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Feb 9, 2017
This was delicious! I made half the recipe and left out the mushrooms and it was perfect served with homemade bread.
Jul 11, 2015
I wanted to just halve it, but when I was making it, I absent mindedly didn't halve the liquid! So I just dumped it all in with the sauce once it was done simmering and then transferred it to the 9x13 pan. It was awesome!!! Oh, and I left the shrooms out because I forgot to get them.
Jun 6, 2015
I made this recipe last night but only made half as much since there's only two of us. It was delicious! I didn't make any changes to the ingredients. My picky husband loved it too!
Dec 1, 2014
Everyone loves this dish!!!!
Nov 23, 2014
I made the Penne and Sausage casserole and my husband and I loved it! I didn't have fontina cheese so I used Parmesan instead. I used a pound of the sausage although I only made one pan of the casserole. The recipe was very flavorful and we're adding it to our dinner rotation.
Mar 25, 2014
This was delicious! It tasted even better reheated the next day. I cut most of it in half as I didn't need 2 casseroles. I did use a full pound of sausage, a full pound of mushrooms and the whole can of tomato sauce for one casserole. I also added a little sugar to the sauce as I like mine a little sweeter. Shared this at work and everyone loved it!
Sep 17, 2012
I made this last weekend as a trial run before bringing it to a luncheon I'm providing this week for co-workers. It was very good. Cheesy, saucy, flavorful--it was far better than any pasta dish I've had that uses the standard commercial marinara sauce. The recipe was easy to follow; I did bake it for a few minutes longer than it called for so that it was bubbly and it didn't get too dry. To speed up prep time, consider browning the Italian sausage ahead of time, chopping the onions ahead of time and refrigerating them until it's time to start cooking. I bought pre-sliced mushrooms and shredded mozzarella. Fontina cheese was pricy but I splurged for the upcoming luncheon; the cheese blend was yummy! Another keeper of a recipe!
May 9, 2012
Next time I would use half of the pasta, cheese and onion. It was too cheesy and not enough sauce but the flavor was delicious.
Nov 21, 2011
Delicious!! I will make this over and over again.
Nov 10, 2011
This recipe was YUMMY!! I didn't add the wine - used all beef broth and I used baby portabella mushroom - they added more meaty like texture. I noticed it too was a bit to saucy so I turned up the heat and let the liquid reduce by half - It gave it a richer color and amp'd up the flavor! Fontina cheese is expensive, so I used provolone!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.