- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chocolate frosting
- 19 to 20 yellow chick Peeps candies
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (assorted sizes)
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions, using two parchment paper-lined and greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- If cake layers have rounded tops, trim with a long serrated knife to make level. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- For petals, arrange Peeps around edge of cake, curving slightly and being careful not to separate chicks. For sunflower seeds, arrange chocolate chips in center of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Peeps Sunflower Cake
"Went over GREAT at Easter!! Had fun making it, too!"
"Oh so fun & fabulous for Easter!- Theresa"
"I have made this cake several times. It is so simple, but so darn cute!"
"I used my own cake recipe but this was a cute presentation."
"Yes. One box of cake mix equals 2 pans"
"I made this with lemon cake mix and homemade lemon icing. The cake was so cute. Lots of compliments. Yes, you use one box of mix and split between two pans."
"I have not tried yet. 5stars on looks for now. I have a question before I can make it.Okay I feel silly asking this but....... I should use one cake mix box and divide it into the two cake pans? Is that correct. Two layers from one box? Thanks in advance."