Pecan Vegetable-Rice Medley
"Colorful vegetables and toasted pecans make this a lovely dish to serve company. it takes a litle time to prepare the veggies, but you can cut them ahead and store in the refrigerator until cooking time. In the summer, I serve this dish on the side with burgers."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 2 cups cut fresh green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 small yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh snow peas
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil; add pecans. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until lightly toasted; remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining oil. Add the beans, red pepper and broccoli; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms; stir-fry 2 minutes longer. Add the snow peas, water, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- In a large bowl, toss rice and parsley. Serve vegetables over rice; top with toasted pecans.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 318 calories, 19g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Vegetables with Brown Rice in Taste of Home December/January 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.