Pecan-Topped Carrot Pie Recipe
- 4 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Add 1 in. of water to a large saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 9-11 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
- 2. Place the carrots, milk, eggs, pie spice, cinnamon and salt in a blender. Cover and process until pureed; process 1 minute longer. Pour into pastry shell. Combine the pecans, brown sugar and butter; sprinkle over filling.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and edges are browned. (Cover edges of crust with foil during the last 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.) Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Pecan-Topped Carrot Pie
"This delicious pie was a a keeper and a hit!!"
"I followed this recipe exactly as written and it turned out perfectly. It received lots of compliments at Thanksgiving from both pumpkin-pie-loving and pecan-pie-loving family. The idea had been to kill two birds with one stone, and it definitely worked. I would make this pie again even for a non-holiday."
"This has a great flavor and is easy to make. I made it in a graham cracker crust instead & it was tasty!"
"What a great recipe!! I made this with a ginger snap crust in a 9" spring-form pan. As I was out of pumpkin pie spice, I substituted 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ginger and 1/2 tsp cloves. I have also substituted half-and-half or evaporated milk for the sweetened condensed milk."
"I tried this recipe and found my family absolutely loved it. I will definitely make it again."
"Delicious--unless you tell someone it is carrot they will never know. What a great fall treat and awesome way to incorporate veggies into the diet!"