Pecan Sweet Potato Bread
This recipe originally started from my favorite banana bread recipe. I substituted sweet potatoes and made a few other adjustments to come up with this delicious quick bread.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 70 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1-1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the honey, sweet potatoes and dry pudding mix and mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in pecans and raisins.
- Pour into two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 70-80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- In a small bowl, combine icing ingredients until smooth; drizzle over cooled bread.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 198 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Bread in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.