Chewy centers, a fancy shape and candied cherries make these cookies fun and festive. They’re a favorite in my house at Christmastime. —Lorraine Rothermich, Portage Des Sioux, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 30 candied cherries, halved
- Place cream in large bowl; let stand out at room temperature for 1 hour. Add vinegar; stir until thickened. Stir in yeast until dissolved; add the egg yolks. In a small bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half; wrap in plastic. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a small saucepan, combine the pecans, 1/4 cup sugar, brown sugar and milk. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3 minutes; set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. With a sharp knife or pastry wheel, cut dough into 2-in. squares. Place 3 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Cut through the dough from each corner of the square to within 1/2 in. of the center. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon of filling into the center of each square. Fold alternating points of the square to the center to form a pinwheel. Press a cherry half into the center of each. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 69 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.